Admit it, we all feel better when we eat healthy foods and are more active, yet we find so many excuses not to do it. If you spend as much time exercising as you do making up excuses, you will be off to a great start. These healthy living tips will help to kickstart your new lifestyle and improve your health physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
Alter Your Mindset
For many people, diet and exercise habits are a result of a psychological mindset rather than physical wellness. It is important to identify underlying issues and how they manifest as an unhealthy lifestyle. Changing your thought process can lead you to a healthier way of living. To help alter your mindset, try these healthy living tips:
- Track behaviors like eating, sleeping, and exercise or lack of
- Journal daily to help you identify triggers that lead to poor health decisions
- Identify and release emotional baggage that is weighing you down spiritually and physically
- Complete random acts of kindness, for yourself and for others
Set Your Goals
It is easy to tell yourself that you are going to start living a healthy lifestyle, but this vague thought or statement may not produce results. You need to set concrete short- and long-term goals and document them. Better yet, share these goals with a group and then you can work on them together.
The beauty of setting goals is that you can also establish rewards. As you see progress and meet your healthy lifestyle milestones, give yourself a pat on the back with a healthy reward. Get a massage, download a book you have been meaning to read, take a day off and have a picnic in the park—or whatever you want!
Create Your Diet Plan
Planning and preparing ahead is important when it comes to living a successful healthy lifestyle. Think about the healthy foods you like to eat, and then plan menus and make grocery lists based on those foods. Do not try to incorporate foods you don’t like—it will be impossible to sustain long term. Some tips that may help you switch and stick with a healthy way of eating include:
- Incorporating more fruits and vegetables, particularly superfoods like dark green leafy vegetables and berries
- Limiting your meat consumption to lean meats and fish
- Knowing where your food comes from (shop at local farmers markets)
- Eliminating processed foods
- Reading labels and avoiding things like MSG and genetically modified foods
- Juicing for one or two meals a day
- Preparing and eating 6 small meals throughout the day (instead of 3 big meals)
- Using good oils like olive, coconut, or grapeseed
- Changing your way of eating (no diets!)
When you have decided to accept the challenge and start living a healthy lifestyle, take some time to reflect on the idea and the process of making it happen. One of the biggest challenges is going to be putting yourself first.
We often sabotage our attempts at self-improvement trying to please others. You eat that cupcake at work because you don’t want to hurt your co-workers’ feelings. You skip a workout because a friend has asked to meet. When you start putting your needs first, you will find that you have more time and energy to fulfill the needs of others. You will start liking and believing in yourself.
If you’ve been looking for a group to help you kickstart your healthy living lifestyle, consider joining Discover Healing’s practitioner community! Our Practitioner Education Program gives you exclusive access to cutting-edge holistic energy healing training and quarterly Q&A webinar sessions with Dr. Brad Nelson to help you continuously improve your healing skills.