Adding more holistic health practices into your life can be helpful for increased health and happiness! Holistic wellness focuses on the connection between mind, body, and spirit. It isn’t just about treating symptoms, it seeks to find the root causes that create the issues. By living a more holistic lifestyle, you may be able to enhance your body’s natural ability to restore itself! Read on for a few ways to add more holistic wellness activities to your daily life.
Integrating Holistic Health Methods in Your Daily Routine
Add holistic health to your morning:
Start your day with a meditation practice. This is a great way to clear your mind and connect with yourself before heading into the world. You might also take time to connect with your higher power during your meditation. There are many benefits to meditation, including reducing stress, feelings of anxiousness, and depression, while enhancing self-awareness, memory, and attention!
Follow these steps to start a meditation practice:
- Set up a comfortable space. You might want to sit on a pillow or cushion. You can try sitting with your back gently resting against a wall, or even laying down if that’s more comfortable for you. Ideally, you’ll be somewhere quiet so that you can focus on your thoughts and breathing.
- Set a timer. Decide on the amount of time that is your goal for your meditation practice. It’s often recommended that you start with a fairly short meditation and build up from there. Try starting with 5 minutes, or even less if that feels challenging. Once 5 minutes is easy, you might try increasing your time to 10 minutes and so on.
- Try a meditation method. There are many different ways to meditate. The main goal is to clear your mind, so giving yourself one thing to focus on can be very helpful! You may want to try a guided meditation where a video or audio recording of an instructor guides you through one of these techniques (or others). This is especially helpful if you’ve never meditated before!
- Mantra meditation: choose a simple phrase, and repeat it over and over again! Choosing something positive and empowering can be a very nice practice.
- Body scan: This meditation is based on slowly focusing your complete attention on different parts of the body.
- Visualization meditation: Focusing the mind on a visual experience, you might conjure up a mental picture of a calm lake or a quiet field.
- Loving-kindness meditation: This meditation focuses on sending love and kindness out into the world.
- Enjoy the clarity and calm! If thoughts come up as you’re meditating, don’t worry. Just allow them to cross your mind and float away. Even if meditating feels uncomfortable, or your mind is really busy at first, if you continue to consistently meditate you’ll begin to access the benefits.
Wellbeing during the workday:
If you find yourself feeling stressed or upset during the workday, you’re not alone. In fact, 83% of American workers report suffering from work-related stress. Luckily, you don’t have to be part of this statistic! Holistic health can help with workday stress. Deep breathing has been found to help with stress, as it sends a message to your brain to calm down and relax.
Next time you start to feel stressed at work, try this breath practice:
- Find a comfortable seat. This could be at your desk, or perhaps you can head outside for a few moments.
- Relax your belly. Diaphragmatic or belly breathing is when you send your breath deep into your body. Relaxing your belly helps the breath to flow correctly.
- Breathe in and out through your nose. Breathing through your nose allows you to take bigger, slower breaths, enhancing the calming effects of your breathing practice.
- Try placing a hand on your belly. Feel the breath fill up that space, lifting your hand as you inhale, and lowering as you empty out your breath. This can help you focus on where your breath should go.
- Try to breathe deeply for 10 minutes. Even if you only take a few deep breaths, you’ll still feel the positive effects! However, if you have the time, 10 to 20 minutes can be especially beneficial.
Pack a healthy lunch! Nutritious, whole foods are an integral part of a holistically healthy lifestyle. Getting proper nutrition can help you feel better, avoid illness, boost your mood, and increase focus. Nutritional research consistently shows that eating less processed foods provides lots of health benefits. Focusing on eating fruits, veggies, whole grains, and legumes is a great place to start.
Wellness after work:
Socialization is an important part of holistic wellness! Holistic health takes your social life into account as well. Having positive, supportive relationships can have a huge impact on both your mental and physical health. Nurture the positive relationships you already have by reaching out, prioritizing spending time with those people, expressing your appreciation for them, and actively supporting them as well. If your circle of friends is smaller than you’d like, consider picking up a new activity to widen your social network. Perhaps your town has a walking group, a book club, or a crafting group you can join!
Incorporating holistic health into your bedtime routine:
A great way to close out your day while supporting your mental health holistically is to journal before bed. Journaling can help support your mental health by identifying problems, fears, and concerns — as well as the things that are going well in your life! It can be an opportunity for positive self-talk and to identify what you’re grateful for. Here are a few prompts to help start your journaling practice:
- Write a list of things that you’re grateful for
- Write a list of things you love about yourself
- What does a great day look like for you?
- List a few activities that bring you joy (and perhaps make a plan to do one of them tomorrow!)
- Write a letter to your future self or to your past self
- What can you learn from a recent mistake?
- Write a note about how much you appreciate someone important in your life
Get enough sleep! Rest is an incredibly important part of overall wellness. If you’re not getting enough sleep, that has been found to dramatically reduce your cognitive brain function, ability to focus, ability to respond to situations, and capacity to cope with stress. When you do get enough rest, your body and mind are able to recharge. Your muscles heal overnight, your immune system recovers to help keep you healthy, and your mind gets refreshed so you can be alert and focused.
When you need a little extra support:
Treat yourself to holistic health practices that will improve your daily life! There’s so much you can do on a daily basis to improve your life through holistic health practices, but what about when that’s not enough? If you’re experiencing issues that you need more help with, consider setting up an appointment to see someone who works in the holistic wellness field. A chiropractor might help if you have joint issues. A massage therapist can help with muscle tightness. An energy healer can assist with processing and relieving energetic imbalances that can cause many issues. Whatever you’re going through, you don’t have to do it alone. Reach out to a certified energy healing practitioner and receive the support you need!
These powerful daily routines are meant to enhance your health. They are not intended to replace health care practices but can support them. You should always speak with a medical professional before starting a new health routine! We hope these suggestions help empower you to make choices that benefit your body and mind!